Tourism
Posted: 2 months ago

Wizz Air and Turkish Airlines are Market Leaders in Georgian Aviation

The leaders of the Georgian aviation market are the Hungarian low-cost airline Wizz Air and the Turkish national carrier Turkish Airlines.

According to the information requested by AviaNews from the Civil Aviation Agency of the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development, from January-February 2022, Wizz Air served 56,439 passengers in the Georgian air market, and Turkish Airlines served 55,956 passengers. Accordingly, Wizz Air and Turkish Airlines account for 13-13% of the passenger traffic at Georgian international airports.

According to the data for January-February, it owns 10% of the Georgian aviation market, and accordingly, the Turkish air carrier Pegasus Airlines is in second place in the TOP-5, which served 45,498 passengers through Tbilisi and Batumi international airports.

Is one of the leaders in the Georgian aviation market and the third place in the "top five" is shared by the United Arab Emirates with flydubai and the Belarusian airline Belavia with 8-8%. According to statistics, in the first two months of 2022, flydubai served 33,403 passengers on the Georgian air market and Belavia 33,091 passengers.

TOP-5 is among the airlines and in the fourth place with the passenger flow in January-February are the Ukrainian airlines SkyUp Airlines and Bees Airline. lowcost airlines share 5-5% of the Georgian aviation market. The share of these airlines in the Georgian air market would have been greater had it not been for the Russian invasion of Ukrainian territory and the war waged, which has claimed the lives of the population. Part of the citizens of Ukraine became refugees. In the background of the ongoing hostilities, the skies of Ukraine are closed to civilian flights, therefore the transfer of passengers by air between Georgia and Ukraine is suspended.

According to the Civil Aviation Agency, in January-February SkyUp Airlines served 21 thousand 884 passengers at Tbilisi and Batumi International Airports, and Bees Airline 21 thousand 399 passengers.

According to the passenger flow through the country's airports in January-February, 4-4% of the Georgian air market is owned by Azerbaijan's AZAL and Israel's Israir Airlines. Accordingly, both companies share the fifth position in the TOP-5 equally.

As for the other airlines, Georgian Airways owns 3-3% of the market according to the transferred passenger flow, Georgian Airways, and Air Arabia of the United Arab Emirates.

The following airlines share 2-2% of the market: Lufthansa, FlyArystan, LOT Polish Airlines, Aircompany Armenia, Qatar Airways, and EL AL.

PS It should be noted that the decrease or increase of the percentage for this or that airline depends on the total passenger flow in a particular year and the number of passengers carried by a particular airline during the reporting period. Against the background of changes in the number of passengers, the previous share of this or that company is adjusted from year to year.

It should be noted that in January-February 2022, 96% of passengers in the Georgian air market were served by foreign airlines, and the remaining 4% by the national airline.