Batumi International Art-House Film Festival Goes Digital
BIAFF film festival which was scheduled during 13-20 September, due to coronavirus outbreak was postponed to October. Perhaps, cases of COVID-19 are increased significantly, all cultural events were delayed or cancelled.
BIAFF management made the decision to move to Digital format and organize film screenings and industry platform in an online format.
The new dates of Industry Platform “Alternative Wave” are from 29th October to 1st November 2020.
The major goal of the “Alternative Wave 2020” is to develop the low-budget feature film projects with the support of foreign and local experienced film industry specialists. “Alternative Wave” mainly focuses on Georgian film projects, but a few years ago it started to involve some projects from the Black Sea region (Turkey, Ukraine, Bulgaria, etc.). In the long-term, it will expand to the Black Sea region and become the regional meeting platform.
BIAFF industry platform “Alternative Wave” is organized already for the 6th year at the BIAFF festival. Despite the difficulties, the festival will have a combined format – international experts will join online and Georgian experts will be present at the festival.
The project is coordinated by Georgian producers Lasha Khalvashi and Tinatin Kajrishvili. It is an essential part of the festival since it creates the effective platform for interaction of Georgian and international film makers, film industry representatives and provides the opportunity to Georgian filmmakers to get professional support in the development of new film projects via involvement of international experts. Later on, the selected projects will be presented on various other international industry platforms (for ex: Istanbul Film festival, etc.)”
The selected projects for Alternative Wave 2020 edition:
1. "Beka" - screenwriter and director Vano Burduli.
2. "Hammock" - directed by Levan Tutberidze, author of the script Irakli Solomonashvili.
3. "Tenth Witness" author and director of the script Giga Liklikadze
4. "Awakening" scriptwriter and director Tengiz Asitashvili
5. "Cold Clouds" screenwriter and director Kakha Kikabidze.
6. "Good Boys" screenwriter and director Giorgi Tavartkiladze
7. "Continuous Road", screenwriter and director Giorgi Megrelishvili
8. "Chaos of Silence" screenwriter and director Nina Shaburishvili
9. "BRULE LE SANG" screenwriters Akaki Popkhadze and Floren Hill, director Akaki Popkhadze
Selected participants will have the opportunity to develop projects in the following areas – script, presentations, funding strategy, film production strategy, distribution and marketing strategy, etc.
Nikos Panayotopoulos (Greece).
Laurent Danilo (France).
Tamar Tatishvili (Georgia).
Gulin Ustun (Turkey).
Gela Babluani (Georgia).
BIAFF 2020 “Alternative Wave” supporters are Georgian National Film Center, Ministry of Culture of Adjara.