The results of the Japan Wine Challenge 2017 (JWC) competition became known. This year 8 Georgian wines won the highest awards in Japan.
The top platinum medal and Regional Trophy went to Saperavi 2015 by Chigogidze Wines. The Vaziani Company won two gold medals and a Regional Trophy.
Natia Metreveli, CEO of Vaziani Company, commented to Hvino News: “This day is very special for our company. Vaziani Company wine from Makashvili Wine Cellar – Khikhvi (2016 Vintage) was awarded with Regional Wine Trophy (best Georgian white wine) and with the Gold Medal. Gold medal was also awarded to another qvevri wine – Mtsvane (2016 Vintage). As far as I know this is the first time when Georgian wine Khikhvi gets the highest award in international wine contests. It’s very important that old and rare Georgian grape varieties are becoming more and more popular.”
“I would like to kindly congratulate our colleagues from Chigogidze Wines with winning the highest award. We know that feeling how proud they would be and we wish more success to other Georgian companies in favor of Georgian wine development, ” – added Vaziani’s Natia Metreveli interviewed by Hvino News.
Full list of Georgian winemakers’ awards:
- Chigogidze Wines Saperavi 2015
- Vaziani Company MAKASHVILI WINE CELLAR MTSVANE 2016
- Vaziani Company MAKASHVILI WINE CELLAR KHIKHVI 2016
- Badagoni GAU#5 WHITE ONE 2015
- Chigogidze Wines Aleksandrouli 2015
- Badagoni BADAGONI BRUT 2015
- Badagoni MAESTRO SAPERAVI 2015
- Badagoni SAPERAVI RESERVE 2010
- Chigogidze Wines Saperavi 2015 (Best Georgian Red Wine)
- Vaziani Company Makashvili Wine Cellar Khikhvi 2016 (Best Georgian White Wine)
This year the Japan Wine Chellenge was held for the 20th time. Since 1997 it has become the largest wine contest in Asia.