Irakli Chikava, founder of Agro Solutions agro consulting company, noted that the year of 2017 was full of agro innovations. Namely, there were several important events, which have determined a general situation:
- Appearance of marmorated stink bugs, which have brought serious problems to Georgia and which is expected to worsen situation in 2018. Marmorated stink bug has inflicted serious damages to nuts exports.
- Restrictions on land sales to foreign citizens – this radical decision will be reflected on foreign direct investments in the agribusiness sector.
- Abolition of vintage subsidy – very positive step for the sector recovery.
- Georgia’s recognition as a homeland of winemaking – this fact will also make positive effect on wine exports growth and incentivize Georgia’s agro tourism.
- Merger of Ministry of Environment protection with Ministry of Agriculture – this decision will make these sector more flexible, because these two Ministries had substantial connection earlier too.