The renovations of the Zakaria Paliashvili Tbilisi State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet (the Tbilisi Opera House) in Georgia have just completed.
Cartu Foundation has financially assisted the rehabilitation and renovation process totaling $40 million. The project started in 2010 and lasted for 6 years. The main architect behind the project is Leri Medzmariashvili.
Opera performances in this building had commenced in 1845 and the Opera House construction works started in 1847. It was finished in 1851 to accommodate the opera and ballet companies. The Opera House stands on the main street in Tbilisi, Rustaveli Avenue. Designed by Italian architect Giovanni Scudieri in the Moorish style, it was originally called the Tiflis Imperial Theatre.