On December 20, 2016, at 14 o’clock, Georgian Ski Federation will hold a news conference at Radisson hotel. The news conference is dedicated to the 2016-2017 ski cup tournament and preparations for 2017 St. Moritz Ski World Championship.
Georgian Ski Federation plans to hold 2016-2017 ski cup tournaments in five stages (in Mestia, Bakuriani, Goderdzi Pass and Gudauri).
The following teams will participate in the 2016 tournament: national and children combined teams of Georgia, athletes from Gudauri, St.George School, Bakuriani, Mestia and Ajara sports school.
The first stage of the 2016-2017 tournament will be held on December 24-25 in Mestia at the recently opened tracks of Tetnuldi.
The tournament will be held with support of Georgian Ski Federation, Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, Silknet, a general sponsor, and Ski Resorts Development Company.
Giant slalom will be held on December 24 and Slalom – on December 25. Girls and boys are divided in three age categories:
- Children I– Born in 2003-2004
- Children II – Born in 2011-2002
- Adolescents and juniors: born in 2000 and over.
After tournament completion, a solemn awarding ceremony will be held at the finish line. It should be noted this year will be of special character:
- Along with Silknet, a general sponsor of Georgian Ski Federation, other companies have also showed interest in developing Georgian Ski sport.
- On January 15 International Snow Day will be marked in Gudauri;
- In March 2017 amateurs’ charity business tournament will be held in Gudauri;
- It should be noted that Georgian Ski Federation started preparations for 2016-2017 winter season in summer 2016. Georgian national team held exercises at Austria’s famous resort Hintertux in summer and autumn. In November-December Georgian athletes arrived in Europe and participated in tournaments under the aegis of International Ski Federation successfully and improved the world rating;