Modernization works are in an active phase at Tbilisi International Airport.
According to Ministry of Economy, “TAV Georgia” has already started preparation works of the new arrival terminal, which has been conditioned to the increased number of passengers. The airport has served 1,8 million passengers in 2015.
Construction of the new terminal will be finished in 2017. Simultaneously, additional parking spaces should be arranged. Besides that, 6 registration desks have been already added to the existed terminal; 3 ribbons of luggage allowance have been added in the arrivals hall; aviation security inspection system is centralized in the departure hall, as a result, the airport has moved to the open Gates principle;
As for the ongoing work on the runway:
- Rehabilitation works have been finished and navigational lighting were arranged at the Runway “Alpha”;
- Works of covering, widening and asphalt laying are being made on the runway “Bravo” and “Charlie” ;
- Removal of rubber waste, accumulated as a result of aircraft landing, has been made on the runway;
- Cracks repair is carried on the runway;
- Aircraft turning places are being arranged at the runway;
- The demolition of the existed navigation lightening is being carried from the runway 13R.
According to the Ministry, ongoing works will be finished within 12 weeks. Vice Premier Dimitri Kumsishvili took the rehabilitation process on the personal control.