Georgian Energy Development Fund has announced tender for conducting feasibility studies for Borjomi hydro power plant and purchasing consulting services. Borjomi HPP is one of the oldest power stations in the former Russian Empire. The facility launched operation on January 15, 1899.
Two turbines of Pelton type used to function at the power station – generator with 70 horsepower/hour each. Borjomi HPP suspended electricity generation in 1950.
The power station has the status of cultural heritage.
JSC Energy Development Fund plans to employ a part of hydro-technical potential of the HPP and arrange a new headwork on the river Borjomula, from where water will be supplied to the HPP building through derivation channels.
One part of the rehabilitated HPP building will comprise a museum of initial equipment of the HPP, including turbine-generators and other electric-mechanical equipment, while another part will include modern electric-mechanical equipment and electricity generated by this system will be supplied to Georgian power system.