“One just needs to be confident and know that there is nothing impossible, when there is a will there always is a might. Limits like fears are often just an illusion,” says Teona Dumbadze Hilton Batumi, Marketing Executive / PA to GM, who chatted with CBW to explain how she achieved success and gave us several pieces of advice in PR and Marketing field.
Working in a hospitality industry doesn’t give you any other chance. As Hilton we are very oriented on guest satisfaction, sometimes when issues arise there is no time to wait for other’s decision and you need to take ownership and act quickly and resolve the issue on spot
– What is your profession?
– I am a translator – referent
– Your first job place?
– English Teacher at Private School.
– Current job and position?
– Hilton Batumi, Marketing Executive / PA to GM
– Your first success?
– First book I ever read, I even remember the book “King Matt the First” Janusz Korczak, I was 7, just started reading independently. The infinite kindness of the book is the lifelong impression of mine.
– Business project that you take pride in even today?
– I’ve participated in many projects, but the one that I will always be proud of is related to charity – 2 years ago, together with “Believe Charity Foundation” we started a project “I Believe in Santa Clause” – within this project Charity Foundation gave us the list of children with their Christmas wishes and we provided all the items on the list, we also went with “Santa” to deliver the presents to those children – this project enabled us to bring joy to underprivileged children, who most of the time are struggling to find food not to say about Christmas presents. And that became a tradition and this year all the other brand hotels in Batumi joined, so we got opportunity to make Christmas special for over 100 children. I hope we will have more success in future.
– What makes a person successful in your field? Besides knowledge what special features are required?
– In all the fields, to be successful, person needs to be determined. Besides knowledge Attitude to what you do means a lot. Knowledge is worthless without experience and right attitude to my subjective opinion.
– Is it possible to study PR in Georgia very well, or international knowledge and experience are necessary anyway?
– Coming out from my answer above, everything is possible everywhere! One just needs to be confident and know that there is nothing impossible! When there is a will there always is a might! Limits like fears are often just an illusion!
– Is PR perceived and understood in Georgia in its classical nature?
– I think it is, only that like everything else in Georgia everybody does it their own way.
– How easily can you resolve emergency situations and take decisions? Do similar cases affect quality of working process?
-That’s my every day job. Working in a hospitality industry doesn’t give you any other chance. As Hilton we are very oriented on guest satisfaction, sometimes when issues arise there is no time to wait for other’s decision and you need to take ownership and act quickly and resolve the issue on spot. It definitely affects the working process in very positive way and helps us to deliver our brand key message “spread the light and warmth of hospitality”.
– Interesting episode that has changed your life?
– My 1st job in international company. First international experience helped me to go out of box, think bigger and see a bigger picture. Once I left the “comfort zone” I was like a different person, more critical to myself that enabled me to develop faster and learn a lot.
– Patience, openness, honesty; I think these personal features make me stronger.
– What does the employer company give you, what makes it interesting for you?
– Development opportunities – this is my first role in Hotel Marketing and everything I need to develop my personal and professional skills is there – trainings, workshops, local and regional support. Hilton is a great place to work and every day is differently interesting, it is like back to school – every day I learn something new, something exciting. Most interesting is interaction with people – our guests, local and international media and so on.
– What makes you major discomfort in working process?
– That sometimes because of outside factors it takes very long to achieve results.
-Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
– I like diversity and my interests are growing and changing. In 20 years I might be a president of the country… who knows .